Friday, January 23, 2009

What does being "healthy" mean anyway?

I was talking with my friend Amanda earlier today, who shares my insane passion for a healthful, organic, whole-foods lifestyle... and we talked a lot about what it means to be healthy. What it means to each of us, and what other people might think it is. I know we all probably have a different idea exactly, but generally speaking, I bet most would agree it involves eating well (kind-of general I know), exercising, and watching our stress levels (which I always could work on!).... among other things.
I never want to get on my soap box concerning health stuff, but since this is my blog... I guess I can! hehe :) Plus, I always love to talk to people about health topics -- and I seem to get involved in some kind of health related conversation almost every other day. Like this week, I got to share my health journey with a teacher I encountered, and encourage her to make those healthier choices that she wants to model for her family. I also got to share my raw food experiment with some new faces :) (although, I'm pretty sure they thought I was out of my mind crazy.)
I just wish that everyone knew that when you eat whole-foods (soooo, foods in their natural state, not processed or changed in any way) -- your whole being will be better off and thank you for it! I read this article awhile ago that talked about the vicious cycle of eating refined and/or processed foods.... and it just made sense to me. Basically, if you eat nutrient deficient foods (things that have been modified, packaged, have loads of preservatives and additives put in them, etc.) you body isn't getting the nutrition it needs to function properly, eliminate waste properly, etc., etc. The more of these foods we eat, the more vitamins, minerals, and enzymes we fail to get -- and so our body constantly craves more food in an effort to get the nutrients we need. So we're always hungry, and then we continue to fill up on those empty things... but our bodies are never satisfied. Instead we gain weight, get grumpy, feel bloated, depressed, get migraines, you name it. WHEW! (Quite a mouth full I know).... And our bodies are so amazing! They keep working through A LOT. I mean, please... with my eating habits in college, I should have been dead! haha. Check out what some average meals looked like for me (and please know, I am not picking on anyone who eats any of these items.... because I still eat a little ice-cream now and again, and might even have a little alfredo sauce at Olive Garden once in awhile -- hey, I'm not perfect here! hehe):
Breakfast: chocolate milk/doughnut/cereal, milk/white english muffin with jam/pb/ (I mean, my roommate can testify to me grabbing a donut on the way to class, freaking out, and throwing half of it in the bushes later, haha)
Lunch: deli meat on white bread/fries, tater tots/ more cereal/a salad with ranch dressing/baby carrots/soup/macNcheese/frozen broccoli and cheese/bean & cheese burritos, and when I lived in the dorms, ice-cream -every day.
Snacks: Luna Bars, nutragrain bars/granola bars, yogurt/apple or orange
Dinner: MacNcheese, 4cheese rice (in a box), Bisquick pancakes with artificial maple syrup, eggs/ frozen veggie/hamburger/fries/chicken, stir-fry/etc. etc.
After dinner: ice-cream.... always ice-cream! hehe :) followed by a HUGE helping of guilt.
Needless to say, I believe that me only eating 2 servings of raw veggies or fruit a day, with mostly processed white bread and refined sugar in conjunction with my antibiotic use, contributed to my stomach shutting down 3 1/2 years ago. And guess what, I will always be thankful for it -- as hard as that year was (bless your heart Curt for taking such good care of me).
The experience opened my eyes to the pitfalls of an unhealthy lifestyle, and helped me gain my health back... and keep it! :) Being healthy for me has nothing to do with counting calories or fat grams, or a number on a scale. It has everything to do with what foods are going to nourish my body and keeping my stress levels low (could still use some work in this area especially!) The best piece of advice I could ever give to anyone is to stop thinking about foods in terms of "this food is bad b/c it will make me fat, etc." This way of thinking kept me in a food prison for years. Instead, examine your food in terms of the kind of benefits it will give you. Will it provide the nutrients your body needs to perform well and keep you strong and fit? Be proactive and conscientious of your choices and then enjoy the delicious benefits they are giving you! :)
Here's to your health!

No comments: