Sunday, June 10, 2012

Summer Begins! Minnesota and Other Fun Happenings...

Well, Curt and I are officially on break! Yay! :) Curt finished up school the Friday before Memorial Day, and I finished up the 31st. Starting the summer off with a bang, I flew out to Minnesota for my cousin Rosina's high school graduation (I am freaking old). It was so wonderful to see my family back there and spend some quality time on the farm. Minnesota has always felt like home - thanks to all those cherished summers my sister and I enjoyed venturing cross-country with my mom in the van. (The van is still around, by the way, and trucking along! I actually took several rides in it this past week as it now helps out on my aunt and uncle's farm). I even got in on a thunderstorm - which I LOVE. They are not the same (or as frequent) in SoCal, that's for sure. Here's some pics documenting the trip:
Rosina (cousin), me, Lance (cousin), Uncle Mark & Aunt Elaine :)
View out from the front of my aunt and uncle's house. It is so lush and green!
Gardens :)
The back of their house... not a great shot of the fountain (left side) - but it is AMAZING - and my aunt made it herself!
another shot of the back of their house and yard... just gorgeous and green (I think I forget how green it is outside of the desert!)
Oscar  :)
Lily and Petunia :)
Chilling outside - (there's the van! Proof she's still running) ;)
checking out the old farm house (this is where my grandpa was born in 1918) - it was a beautiful home in its time & my mom loves spending time here - despite outward appearances. :) It's about 2 miles from my aunt and uncle's place and only a mile from my cousin Lance's farm (which used to be my grandpa and grandma's farm place)
We always walk around the Hazel Run Cemetery, which may seem weird or depressing to some, but it is actually really beautiful and peaceful. Most of my Minnesota relatives are buried here, including my grandpa and grandma Wilson. Hazel Run Church, where my parents were married 45 years ago, stands in the background. :)
Me and Rosina :) 
Our last night in MN we got to spend at my cousins house outside of Minneapolis -Here's Lisa and Scott, and their two boys, Jacob (far left) and Joshua :) We had a wonderful time!
While I was gone, Curt was busy doing some hiking, among other things. :) Here's a shot of the San Gabriel Mts. as he climbs Mt. Baldy with a friend.
A waterfall encountered on the way up...
Getting close to the top...
Sign at the top! They had sweeping views, but being that it was dark when they reached the top, Curt didn't get any clear pics outside of the city lights below - which the camera did not do justice to :)
Curt also ran a 10k race in Thousand Oaks while I was gone, and got 2nd place overall and first in his division! He was super stoked, as he set a post collegiate personal record, running it in 34:40. He has been putting in an insane amount of miles - over 70 this past week!! (I don't run that in a year people). We're both currently training for a 7 mile race in Bellingham - and I am proud to say I put in 4 miles this past week training for it. haha...
This coming Friday we take off for our yearly trek up North to see our families - and we are really excited this year to be traveling up the coast and camping along the way! More posts to follow as we start that adventure. :) Happy start of summer everyone!
Ella saying "hi!"
A parting shot of the gorgeous flowers a certain someone had waiting for me at home when I got back to California yesterday :) Thanks honey!

No comments: