Wednesday, September 17, 2008

TaSty tid-BitS

Well today I thought it might be fun to update the ol’ blog and maybe give you all an idea of what I’ve been munching on the last week and a half. I have to say, at least at this point in the experiment, it hasn’t been too hard eating in the raw…at least from much of the taste standpoints. The real challenge is usually finding enough to eat – or eating a varying amount of foods – i.e. not just fruit smoothies or salads. I’ve been wanting to make my own crackers and granola with my dear friend Andrea’s dehydrator, which she graciously let me borrow (“Thanks Andy!”), but have not yet made the effort. I am planning to change that, however, by firing it up tomorrow! As I'm finding with most things on this eating plan, it’s time consuming when you must first soak all your nuts and seeds and then dehydrate them for several hours—only to find that I may have put the ingredients together wrong and the whole batch and my $$$ is worthless. On the other hand, my pocket book says I can learn to love cardboard granola! haha. At any rate, I am excited to try! And I think as time goes on I’ll get into the swing of things and become more proficient and quick at preparing meals and snacks.
Currently, a typical day consists of things like this: When I first wake up, it’s 30 oz. of fresh fruit and veggie juice (something like: celery, spinach, carrot, pear, apple juice). This usually staves of my hunger for about 5 min., so following this might be a peach or a banana and almond butter. Lunch might consist of a big batch of fresh guacamole, which, I have to say, I have become pretty stellar at making. Avocado + red onion + red chili pepper + coarse sea salt + lime + cilantro = yummy! :) I usually dip baby carrots into it and these raw flax seed crackers I bought. A couple hours later it’s a LARA bar (raw dried fruit and nut bar—my favorite is Apple Pie) and then probably another piece of fruit later. For dinner, a huge salad filled with veggies, fruit, and maybe a few nuts or seeds with a lemon/lime/mustard seed/olive oil/sea salt/raw honey dressing. Before bed, a smoothie or raw ice-cream – my favorite part of the day! My two favorite smoothies at present are chocolate/banana and bunny-spice. Bunny spice, if you perchance are curious, consists of two frozen bananas, 4-5 ice cubes, ½ C. fresh carrot juice with a splash of fresh ginger juice, 1 tb. of almond butter, 1/2 C. of purified water, and a dash of cinnamon. Blend and enjoy cold and creamy pumpkin-pie in a cup! Some of you I know personally might be a tad sickened by this concoction, but it is soooooooooooo good if you like cold pumpkin pie (which of course I LOVE). My chocolate/banana smoothie is made up of 2 frozen bananas, 6 ice-cubes, ½ C. purified water, 1 tb. Coconut butter, 1 tb. Almond butter, 2 tb. Raw agave nectar and 1 tb. Raw cocoa powder. Creamy, cold, and delicious people!!
The fun part is, this way of eating does not limit sweet treats! So, for those of you that know I have an insane sweet-tooth, I haven’t felt deprived in this way at all – it’s just that I am using raw, natural sweeteners. Yipppeeee! (Okay, yes, you are still probably suppose to limit these yummy goodies, but I am just not at the point yet where I look forward to and/or crave a spinach smoothie! Yuck)
The part that gets tricky is when I’m teaching, because then I start my day with a smoothie (for more calories and substance to stick with me until lunch), and have a salad for lunch (so now what the heck do I have for dinner??). This is why I want to make crackers and granola, b/c then I could do these for dinner if needed! Anyway, we’ll see. I’m taking things ONE day at a time, and just going with how I feel.
Also, for anyone concerned about my getting enough calcium, certain vitamins, etc. (mom) :) after doing much research I have begun taking these brand new RAW vitamins from the Garden of Life (my favorite supplement brand – their products are amazing! I take their HSO Probiotics, digestive enzymes –less occasionally now however, and starting yesterday, their vitamins, which are called the Vitamin Code – I take the one for women) – and they are 100% natural/raw/non-synthetic designed to be completely absorbed by your body. I am definitely excited about them, and would encourage anyone interested to check them out. I’m hoping this helps with my energy levels, because after doing a little more research, I found that I haven’t been getting certain B vitamins (like B12) in my diet for the last two weeks, and that’s not a good thing. So yeah...the raw experiment continues! (Ask me how I’m feeling after this weekend, eating out with friends and celebrating our 4 year anniversary with a salad, haha).
Oh, and one night I did have a small piece of cooked chicken and some cooked squash – but then had the most horrible stomach ache until the next morning! My poor stomach, like it hasn't been through enough in the last few years! After that I decided right now I can do 100% raw, and if a day comes when I feel like a piece of fish, than fish it is! I just don’t want this to control my life or become some terrible chore. Right now it’s fun, and I’m excited to see what lies ahead! (Come on skin, clear up!!!!) :) Until next time………
Cheers!

No comments: