Sunday, March 25, 2012

"The Great Race of Agoura Hills"

I am a fair-weather, when the mood suits me, I'm feeling lazy - kind of runner. Make that a slow jogger to be exact. That said, I thought long and hard about signing up for "The Great Race of Agoura Hills"... (Come to think of it, it may have been 5 min.) I opted out. I haven't done much running since finishing a half marathon in the fall. It was AWESOME, but I got super sick afterwards... which I've now used as an excuse not to run for the past 5 months. (It's terrible I know! Running 2-3 miles doesn't exactly equal 13.1 miles without properly hydrating before and after). Curt, on the other hand, is a runner. The kind that sets goals, trains hard, and is out there when he doesn't feel like it. (I really need those running traits to rub off on me). He signed up for the race. It was in Agoura Hills - a beautiful part of SoCal - this past Saturday morning. Ella and I tagged along, despite the early morning departure of 5:15 am- and enjoyed the ride over to one of the best ranked road races by Runner's World Magazine. 

Feeling encouraged by Ella's incredible walking the past few days in the Springs, we set out, only for her to sit down and say "Looks like you're carrying me for the day." Good thing she's so cute. So as Curt set off for the starting line, Ella and I found a perch to snap a few pics after the runner's first mile:
Ella helping me watch for Curt (Sorry for sideways pic!)

Curt rounding the first mile

Finish line just around this corner!

Curt ran a 36:01 10K (6.2 miles)... Incredible (and impossible) in my estimation! He was hoping to break 35:55, but with all the hills, it made that hard. Still, considering I couldn't run 6 miles that fast even if I had a gun pointed at me, I thought he did awesome. :)

Post-race; finish line in back
We hung out a little, waiting for the race results... that never came. (Computer glitch). No matter! Super fun day and Ella and I had great time being cheerleaders and conducting met and greets with lots of other dogs.

Self -group- portrait, but notice our eyes drifting... This didn't so much work out for us.

Me and Chop (aka Ella)
We also did a hike on Friday along the Pacific Crest Trail. It was beautiful! And Ella walked beautifully with us then... so who knows what gives with that dog and her leash!
Curt and Chop along the trail


No comments: